Those evil Kiwi-fruits!30 May , 2013
To explain the context of the conversation Nicola and I had last night, I should really tell you that she does NOT like kiwi-fruit at all! I once convinced her to actually take a lick at one, and she declared it unfit for human consumption. 😉
So in the car yesterday: (name changed obviously – L-buddy is also sometimes known as L-bully, but not for this conversation)
- Nicola, “L-buddy was nie by die skool vandag nie.” (L-buddy wasn’t at school today)
- Me, “Okay…hoekom nie?” (okay, why not?)
- Nicola, “Sy het ‘n hap gevat van ‘n kiwi en toe word sy baie siek!” (she took a bite of kiwi and got very sick!)
- Me, “Regtig? En wat het toe gebeur?” (Really? And what happened then?)
- Nicola, “Sy moes dokter toe gaan.” (She had to go to the doctor.)
- Me, “En wat het hy toe gese^?” (And what did he say?)
- Nicola, “Hy het gese^ sy moet nooit kiwi eet nie want dit sal haar baie siek maak!” (He said she should never eat kiwi because it will make her very sick!)
Up until this point I could have still believed that the poor child had a mysterious kiwi allergy, but I highly doubt that she left school and then came back to tell everyone what the doctor said, after not even coming in at all that morning. 😉 Another ploy by Nicola to dodge kiwi-fruit in general I’m guessing? I don’t push it. Every now and then I give her a chance to taste something new and if it doesn’t take the first time around then we try again a few weeks or months later.
Sometimes the trick to getting her to eat something is just to rename it. My daughter absolutely refuses to eat cauliflower, but call it white broccoli and she’ll happily eat a whole plate full of it and tell me how delicious it was too! It’s just like the stew and meat sauce thing. One day I’m going to have a good laugh at her when she’s trying to get food into her own little one – I’ll share my tricks of course, I’m not selfish.
Now for some totally unrelated photo catch-up:
The kids went to Mozambique not too long ago and Nicola had a blast trying on snorkel gear when they unpacked it before going.