Feels like a week of Mondays26 September , 2012
But first a few photos I took the other day – how adorable is that?!😀
As you know we went away this past long weekend. It was amazing, and just what we needed. Except maybe for the fact that I’m bloody sick again! But other than that it was more or less perfect. Warm water to lounge in, plenty of sunshine and good food, great company, and not to mention a few quality afternoon naps!😉
I’m sick in bed today, so I’m not going to go into too much detail – but I did make a few notes of really cute and funny things that happened over the last few days. Here come the bullet points, brace yourselves!
- Nicola has this new thing she does when you’re saying something to her that she doesn’t want to hear (uaully concerns somewhere that she shouldn’t go, or something she shouldn’t climb on)…she more or less ignores you, except that she puts her finger on her lips and says “Shhhh!” I think it’s really funny, not everyone agrees though.😉
- If you’re trying to pick a fight with her (more or less same reasons as the first bullet), and the “shhh” didn’t do it, she might follow it up with a “whatever”. This is much less funny than the Shh in my opnion, but I know where she gets it. That may or may not be what I say to her when she’s whining for the sake of whining. I will have to perhaps refer to the trusted parenting standard of “because I said so!” in future?
- I can’t remember the exact reason how it came up in conversation, but I was left gaping at some point when Nicola breezed past me, waving her hand at me and saying, “darling, it’s too much…” until I remembered where I’ve heard that line before. The incredibles, that Edna that makes the super hero costumes says it.😆
- Last week our cottage power was out at the box and the municipality had to come out at 2am to fix it. We had enough juice in the laptop to watch 3/4 of one of Nicola’s movies in the almost dark before we went to bed. I must admit I fell asleep half way through that and left her too it. She woke me up when it went off to tell me about it and I explained again that the power was off and that the laptop’s batteries are now flat too. How sweet it this?! She brings me her leappad and offers her batteries to the laptop so that we can finish watching the movie! Hehehehe…
- Other cute phrases, “wait for me here…” and “wish me luck…” and “all my dreams come true!” all used for trying to explore the camp terrain in the dark when I tell her she can’t go where I can’t see her.
- The resort had a couple of (extremely noisy) peacocks hanging about. Nicola was quite keen on chasing then around. I couldn’t help remembering the day she was attacked by a turkey, so I was trying to get her to back off and not get too close.😆 Only to be told that apparently they want to sit on her finger! I think that one bird is probably bigger than Nicola, I can’t see that working at all, but she was adamant! luckily they were all faster than she was.
- Nicola was fascinated with people in the pool passing a beach ball to each other. She sussed it out at lenghth and then at some point she was telling K and myself how it all works. Her exact words were, “first I take the ball, then you take it, then you take it…and then we have a game!” Too cute.😀
- Nicola has a massive soft spot for my brother Riaan (or as she calls him, Oom Hee-hun), seriously she was stalking him most of the weekend, and quibbling with him whenever he was around. Very sweet to see though. My brother is like the baby whisperer, he always has been though – children just adore him wherever he goes.
- I have many many many nicknames for Nicola, but I have noticed that when she’s being adorable I often call her “sweet potato” and when she’s being as stubborn as a mule or a tad distructive I sometimes call her “patat”. Love her all the time though, but the terms of endearment definitely change depending on her mood of the moment.😉